The Intent, Implementation and Impact of Global Learning at Victoria School
At Victoria School ‘Global Learning’ is the term used to describe our curriculum which is designed to enable pupils to understand the links between their own lives and those of people throughout the world. Our intent is to help prepare young people for this ever-changing world.
Global Learning is based upon the 17 global goals which educate pupils to think critically about the world around them, such as poverty, models of development, security, trade and sustainability.
Our intent is to:
- help young people understand their role in a globally interdependent world and explore strategies by which they can make it more just and sustainable,
- familiarise pupils with the concepts of interdependence, development, globalisation and sustainability
- enable teachers to move pupils from a charity mentality to a social justice mentality.
- stimulate critical thinking about global issues, both at a whole school and pupil level
- promote greater awareness of poverty and sustainability
- explore alternative models of development and sustainability in the classroom.
We enhance our Global Learning opportunities in Early Years and KS1 through our international links via the eTwinning platform. We are currently 1 of 26 schools in the UK which hold an ‘Etwinning School Status’.
At Victoria School, Global Learning is integral to our teaching and learning. We make natural links with the 17 global sustainability goals to our curriculum planning. As well as the natural links to the curriculum we take advantage of globally recognised celebrations and events such as; World Hunger Day and Children in Need. Work relating to global sustainability goals is recorded in our SMSC books and Topic Booklets to show a diverse curriculum, which we are proud to offer at Victoria School. Driving our curriculum we use;
- School visits
- Visitors to school
- Current Events / Celebrations
At the juniors we have been awarded the International School Award recognising our commitment to our continued global journey. We are proud to boast relationships with a partner school in Germany through our bi-annual exchange, connecting via zoom with our Chinese teacher and our residential to London.
Victoria’s school councils are central to driving the 17 global sustainability goals to create a whole school approach to enable our children to be responsible global citizens.
Also running throughout our curriculum we use a variety of drivers to support our global citizenship which often arise naturally through class discussions, world events and other curriculum subjects. Some of these include;
- School visits
- Visitors into school
- Current events / celebrations
All implementation of global goals teaching within our curriculum is planned and carefully considered to ensure all children including SENDs are able to access the teaching.
The impact from our Global Learning opportunities enable children to:
- Take purposeful action to improve their own lives.
- Empathise and make connections with the world in which they live.
- Have greater understanding of their own and other cultures making informed decisions with awareness of how their actions affect the world we live in.