Transitioning from Reception to Infant, Infant to Junior, Junior to Secondary, is a time of excitement and anxiety for both children and parents. New surroundings, new friends, new challenges, and new choices are all on offer as your child opens the door on the first days of a new school or phase within a school.
Research has shown that there are five key elements of a positive transition.
- Children are able to develop new friendships, and improve their self-esteem and confidence.
- Children settle into school life in a way that causes no concerns to their parents.
- Children show an increased interest in school and school work.
- Children get used to their new routines and school organisation with great ease.
- Children experience curriculum continuity.
These may sound pretty basic, and there isn't a simple, 'one size fits all' way to transition into a new environment. Every child is different: academically, emotionally and socially.
At Victoria School we will ensure that your child’s transition program include opportunities and experiences to address these five key elements.